The Holiday season is upon us - and with it comes a mile-long to-do list! Your car is probably the last thing on your mind as you plan for guests, meals, and gifts. Fortunately, there are several things you can do quick and easy to get your car is in peak winter condition.
Keep your loved ones safe and your car in good order with these key strategies:
5 Key Strategies for a Winter-Ready Ride
- Get a Quick Coat of Wax
- First, start your list with a professionally applied coat of wax. Road salt is critical for keeping icy roads safe, but it does a number on your car. A fresh coat of wax before the first snowfall (or ice storm) can prevent corrosion to your vehicle. The pros will pay special attention to the lower areas of your vehicle. Snow, ice, and salt tend to build up there first.
- Inspect Headlights and Brake Lights
- Nothing is more important during winter weather than fully functional brake and headlights. A thorough detail will keep plastic light covers from becoming hazy or discolored. Yes, summer is widely recognized as “car wash season”. However, regular car maintenance is important in the winter months, too!
- Put a Winter Emergency Kit in Your Car
- When it comes to personal safety, there’s no such thing as being too prepared! A box of winter supplies in an easy to access place can make all the difference in a crisis. Consider loading your kit with the following:
- First-aid kit
- Space Blanket
- Road Flares
- Extra gloves
- Bag of sand or cat litter (for traction)
- Check your tire pressure and tread depth.
- Without a doubt, good tires are key to keeping your holiday passengers safe. To begin, check tire pressure! Tire pressure recommendations vary, so check your car’s manual. Newer cars have automatic pressure sensors. While it may be tempting to ignore them, we don't recommend it!
- Second, use the “Lincoln test” to be sure your tires have appropriate amounts of tread. Insert a penny into your tire’s tread - the top of Lincoln’s head should point towards the tire. If you can see all of Lincoln's head, you’ll need new tires before winter weather sets in!
- Use winter windshield wiper fluid.
- Not all windshield wiper fluid is created equal. Your usual fluid will do the trick in spring, summer, and fall. Unfortunately, when those winter temps hit, it’ll freeze faster than you can blink!
- After the first hard freeze of the year, go for a winter wiper fluid. They’re a little more robust and won’t freeze as soon as they hit your windshield. They loosen snow and melt ice from your windshield, so you don’t get stuck scraping on cold weekday mornings.
Beat the Holiday Rush with Tommy Terrific’s - The Best Car Wash in Plano!
During the holidays, you’d rather be spending your hard-earned cash on your loved ones. That’s why we offer a variety of affordable car wash menu options. At Tommy Terrific’s we have a Five Day Clean Car Guarantee for the Works Wash, Mini Detail, and Wax. Hold onto your receipt and come back within 5 days of your purchase for a free Exterior Best Wash. For any reason! It’s time to get winter ready - come on down and see what makes us the best car wash in Plano!